Pages

Challenge The Channel Update!

Dear Friends

We hope this update finds you well and explains what things have been quiet since the last update 13th June.

Since the last update a lot of things have happened including a search for a major sponsor, training both in the gym and on the water and most importantly we have news of a date change for the challenge plus another exciting development.

Since putting out a request for a major sponsor we have received a number of personal sponsorships to help the on-water training to continue, two personal friends have sponsored sessions with the latest sponsoring the last two sessions Tuesday 31st July and today Wednesday 1st August, I am indebted to you both for your kind support. 

Alexandra Sports https://www.alexandrasports.com is sponsoring the kit which is being made by Godfrey Sports Ltd, the kit should be with me soon. 

B and D engineering have offered sponsorship to help with on-water training, I sincerely thank you for your kind support.

Justin Miller who is a good friend sponsored the float stabilisers and some of the on-water training, we will be naming the floats after Marjorie Anne once we find a major sponsor, my sincere thanks to Justin for believing in me.

Ed Pont of Afia who have supported my challenges in the past with gloves has been in touch with an offer of a donation and support of the challenge you can see the gloves at www.globaleather.com your support is very welcome, I will be in touch shortly.


MAJOR SPONSOR(S) Requested

As a major sponsor you will have your name on the boat, exposure through social media and on publicity posters as well as on any communication and in the media. We can be contacted on details below.

Challenge date change: After a lengthy discussion with Mike Gilbert of Adventure Rowing and my tech coach, Emma Gueterbock I have taken their advice onboard and therefore there has been a change to the date of the challenge. As most of you know it was hoped that Challenge the Channel would be sometime in September 2018,  the new date of Challenge the Channel with be Saturday 25th May 2019 to coincide with the passing of Marjorie Anne’s and will be weather dependant. I have to be guided by those who have much more experience than I do and as a novice I have no rowing knowledge whatsoever. The good news is that I will row a marathon as part of my training, the marathon row will be from Bembridge IOW to the Needles so all training is now geared towards this marathon sometime in September or when Mike advises. 

Training: I am enjoying training in the gym and on the ergo and on the water, things have gone pretty well in both areas and there is still some way to go but I feel positive with the progress that has been made on the water in particular. My total hours of training in the gym/on the ergo are 360 hours and 9.5 hours on the water, how time flies when you’re having fun! I arrive at the gym between 7.45 and 8.15 every weekday morning which will probably increase as we progress and as my coaches see fit, on-water training is tide dependant and can be anytime during daylight hours. 

The rising total on the just giving page has now reached £620, thank you to everyone who has kindly made those generous donations because without you we just couldn’t do it.

Part of my story: I was adopted at 6 months, once an adult I joined the Navy and at 32, I was involved in a horrific road traffic accident and subsequently I went into lock-in Syndrome for 12 years. A very unique experience and one that changed my life and those around me forever. I've been inspired to help others by taking on challenges and raising money for specific charities important to me. I was awarded the OBE for services to charity in 2016, a great privilege.
Now I’m raising funds for Breast Cancer Haven in memory of my good friend and huge inspiration in my life, Marjorie Anne Walker who passed away last year after fighting breast cancer. She was involved in setting up Portsmouth Breast Friends, a local support group for those effected by breast cancer. I want to give others a chance and support by rowing the channel with a hope of raising £250,000. I have paid for some of my on-water training to date but can no longer afford to so I’m in search of a major sponsor(s) who would like to see their name on the boat and support a great cause. Thank you for reading just a small part of my story. I'm happy to talk about my experiences and especially this new challenge.


 
 
 
Social Media Sites: 
 
Many Thanks.
 
My Very Best Wishes 
 
Paul
 
Paul A Smith OBE
 
M: 07796595432
 
 
Supporting Children and Teenagers with life threatening illnesses and people with breast cancer.
 
 
    
 
 
Supported by: 
 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment