Pages

Challenge The Channel Update

Dear Friends

We thought you might like this update.

Since considering this challenge back (Challenge the Channel)  in September 2017, I made a definite decision in March 2018 to go ahead with it and more time on the rowing machine began as of the 12th March.

Since the launch of the fb/instagram and blog things have moved forward slowly but we remain positive nonetheless. Hanna Bilbrough (soon to be Hanna Smith) has been wonderful in her efforts to update the sites whilst in the middle of organising her wedding, some several weeks away huge thank you Hanna.

As mentioned in the first update we have contacted Dover Marine Services (DMS) for support and guidance and awaiting a reply, Southsea RC have been supporting, the challenge with Peter Clarke (Captain) keeping an eye on my training sessions, Peter is also getting married this year but is happy to help me where possible. 

Tony Burrows of Dover RC has rowed the channel several times and has informed me that the boat I need to train in and use for the crossing is a FISA Stable Scull without stabilisers because they will cause drag and make the crossing difficult. 

Paul Woowat of Guildford RC has invited me up to Guildford on the 11th April to try out a FISA, we will keep you informed on how this goes, time on the water is very important.

I have also been put in touch with Alan Priddy of Team Britannia, read all about them at http://www.teambritannia.co.uk 

It is estimated that my challenge will need around £2,000 of sponsorship for the services of support of a main vessel and a safety boat for the crossing and a further £1,500 for support during training on the water, so we are praying for a sponsor or sponsors to come forward to help make this challenge possible. 

Of course the FISA Stable Scull is very important and if we can get hold of one without a name so we can name it “Marjorie Anne” after a friend who was so inspirational to me over the past 5-6 years. 

Sponsorship support.

To date, I have received an email from Dawn Taylor of Alexandra Sports https://www.alexandrasports.com , offering support for clothing to help me with training and the challenge, I have been advised by Peter Clarke of Southsea RC that I will need several thin layers and lightweight waterproof jackets and bottoms. Many thanks to Dawn for coming forward offering this sponsorship. 

I have had an enquiry of support from Elaine and Keith Scrivens of Southgate and Finchley Coaches http://www.southgate-finchley-coaches.co.uk based in Frieren Barnet, North London, thank you guys.

I have received the logos from Portsmouth Breast friends and Breast Cancer Haven, I am awaiting a logo from The Oakley Waterman Caravan Foundation the 2 charities that will benefit from this challenge. 

Training is going well, the rowing machine I use in the Mountbatten Centre gym, Portsmouth is getting good use from me alone, if I am correct my total training hours have exceeded 40 hours already including strength training etc. The staff at MBC have been great, thank you all.

I am very keen to get hold of the boat and get out on the water, so if you know of any rowing club or a company that maybe able to loan me a boat to train in please get in touch.

For those new to these challenge updates here is a little history about me:

My name is Paul Smith, I have been fundraising for the past 12 years after emerging from 12 years in Lock-in Syndrome but my fundraising actually began when I was 7 years old after watching a news programme on Biafra in west Africa (not recognised by Nigeria), I saw little children with pot bellies running through the streets crying, at that age I mistakingly thought that they had pot bellies due to eating however mum and dad told me that this wasn’t the case. I learned that the pot bellies were the result of these children starving, so my first fundraiser was for these children and I raised in the region of £200-£300. 

Since then.

I served in the Royal Navy for 18 years before leaving after a RTA in 1991 which left me with a head injury and several physical injuries, one thing that the accident hasn't taken away is my determination to help make a small difference to children and teenagers and breast cancer sufferers lives. After emerging from 12 years in Lock-in Syndrome I decided to take up my fundraising again, most if not all of my family thought I would be sat on a street corner shaking a tin, WRONG! 

I have been very fortunate to have the fantastic support of my family and friends and a great support crew who have been by my side since challenge number 2, lead by my Road Manager (or Road Rage Manager, as we nicknamed him), Shaun Johnstone the crew have supported me pushing myself in my wheelchair from Portsmouth to London, Portland in Dorset to London via Portsmouth, Plymouth in Devon to London via Portsmouth, and up the rock of Gibraltar to name just a few challenges. I have also skydived and abseiled however for both of these events my crew politely declined to accompany me, I wonder why? Total of challenges to date are 13 and this WILL be my last physical challenge to celebrate my 60th birthday.




I hope this is something you can help me with, I can be contacted on the info below and via this email. Many Thanks. 

My Very Best Wishes.

Paul  

Paul A Smith OBE
Charity Fundraiser for sick Children, Teenagers and breast cancer sufferers. 

Tel: 02392 383515
M: 07796595432

No comments:

Post a Comment