Pages

Fundraising & Sponsorship Update

Good Evening Friends

We thought you may like to know that there have been developments since our last update a week ago, some good news and some mixed.

It’s been a busy week chasing sponsors and after my latest meeting today I have a more realistic idea of the costs involved, this is the mixed news so I will start here and move on to the positive news, always a good place to end!

Costs:

After a meeting with Mike Gilbert of Langstone Adventure Rowers, I have learned that costs of this challenge are likely to be in the region of £5,000 at this stage so for obvious reasons I am now in search of a generous sponsor(s) to help us achieve this final physical challenge and hope that there are some very kind people/businesses out there who are able to support the challenge that will be in September. I think I will be up in the middle of the night thinking about this!

News Update:

Since our last email update we have had meetings with a number of people and I have received some good advice along the way. Monday 9th April I went along to Port Solent with good friend Bron Carter, who introduced me to a very nice guy who was extremely helpful and gave me some very good safety advice and a list of safety equipment that I should wear/carry with me (The person concerned does not wish to be named but will support me where he can). I went immediately upstairs to the Marine Super Store and handed them my wish list with a request for sponsorship, we await their response on this.

On Wednesday 11th April I paid a visit to the Guildford Rowing Club (RC) who had invited me up to have a try out in a FISA Scull on the river Wey, however the river level was too high and running too fast to allow me out and the authorities had Red Boarded that stretch of water so my outing on the water was postponed. The club did however put me on the rowing machine and gave me some invaluable advice on using the monitor readout so I now know how to create the drag factor on a rowing machine. 

Wednesday 11th April 2018 - Today was one that started with an email from Langstone Adventure Rowers, which I have now read! Mike Gilbert of Langstone Rowers has, in principle offered me a FISA Stable Scull by the name of ‘Epona’ but he insists I have to have capsize and recovery training before I undertake the challenge. 
The Langstone Adventure Rowers will probably give me the training I need and maybe they’ll do the support boat for the challenge, a lot to take in at this stage but the training is essential. 

Thursday 12th April I met with the ladies of Portsmouth Breast Friends and Breast Cancer Haven and of course Rod and Helen Walker (husband and daughter of Marjorie Anne) with updates and discussions on the way forward and to reveal some positive news about the the boat, we all look forward to meeting with the Oakley Waterman Caravan Foundation sometime soon.

Fundraising page:

We have not yet setup a fundraising page, once we do we will let you all know.

Positive News:

We are pleased to inform everyone that we have now have a boat called ‘Epona’ which is tried and tested to cross the channel and which is available to use. Epona is based in Langstone, Hayling Island and is with Langstone Adventure Rowers (LAR). Mike Gilbert who operates LAR and I had a meeting on Friday 13th April to discuss training etc, looks like I am going to get very wet as I have to go through capsize and recovery training before I undertake the challenge. It means I have to throw myself in the water and get back into the boat after every session of rowing until capsize and recovery becomes second nature, when I asked if the boat itself will actually capsize Mike replied “Oh Yes”, there was a reason for asking this and it is because the way in which the boat is constructed it doesn’t seem possible that it would capsize if the water wasn’t too choppy. I will not hide my disappointed that I haven’t been able to obtain a boat without a name so we could name her ‘Marjorie Anne’, perhaps something else will come up. Mike informs me that we can rename her temporarily but until I have been in her and rowed her we cannot get too far ahead of ourselves. This is going to be a huge task there's no doubt about it, I am starting from scratch and not on a river and I have my own difficulties to deal with so I have no illusions that training will be tough and at the tender age of 59 it will probably a lot harder when out in the solent before progressing to channel training. I will probably have to go out 2-3 times per week to bond with her and throw myself overboard, seems a familiar story to skydiving. 

Sponsors to date:

Sponsorship of training and the event £5,000 approx, this is not a definite figure, we hope it will be less.

Clothing/footwear - Alexandra Sports.

Safety Equipment - Being considered.

Poster design and printing - Sponsor?

T shirts - Sponsor?

Insurance will be covered by Langstone Adventure Rowing for training. 

Please help if you can, Many Thanks.

Social Media Sites:




My Very Best Wishes.

Paul  

Paul A Smith OBE
Charity Fundraiser for sick Children, Teenagers and breast cancer sufferers. 

Tel: 02392 383515

M: 07796595432

No comments:

Post a Comment